1/4 Photos of Basic Yellow Cake
Rich, moist and delicious. I use this recipe as the basis of almost every cake I make, adjusting flavourings for variety. Examples are: adding lemon or orange zest; replacing some of the flour with cocoa powder for chocolate cake; almond flavouring; adding chopped apple or peaches. Endless possibilities. A real reliable standby.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and set aside.
- 3Cream together the sugar and margarine.
- 4Beat in vanilla and eggs, one at a time.
- 5Alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk until well blended.
- 6Spread batter evenly into greased and floured cake pans.
- 7Bake for 27 to 35 minutes on middle rack, until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- 8Cool 10 minutes in pans before removing to wire rack.
- 9Cool completely and frost or fill as desired.
- 10Cake can also be baked in a 13 x 9 inch or Bundt pan.
- 11For orange marble cake: reserve 1 cup of the batter add to it 2 to 3 squares melted and cooled semi-sweet chocolate, add orange zest to remaining yellow batter and swirl chocolate batter through orange batter for marbled effect.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Yellow Cake
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 311.1
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 53.4 mg
- Sodium 264.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 21.7 g
- Protein 4.5 g