Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
A good cake to top with whatever frosting, glaze, fruit, etc. The trick to baking, is to be very precise with your measurements.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream shortening, gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt, add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, begin and end with flour mix. Mix after each addition. Stir in flavorings.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9 inch round ake pans. Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes, remove from pans and let cool completely on wire rack. Frost as desired.
- Tip; over mixing the batter will make the cake heavy or grainy.
- If you prefer cupcakes , spoon batter into paper lined muffin pans, fill to half full, Bake at 375F for 20minutes. # dozen.
This was actually pretty good. I baked this in a 9 x 13 pan and the cake rose really well. I added strawberries in juice on top. The whole family really enjoyed it.