Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I created this recipe in order to have a very low sodium, whole wheat sweet dough for my favorite cinnamon rolls. It will work for other sweet rolls and sweet breads, too. Whole Wheat Super Cinnamon Rolls is how I make my cinnamon rolls.
- 1 1⁄3 cups lukewarm water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup softened unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup gluten flour (such as "Do-pep")
- 3 -3 1⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour, to dust the board when rolling out dough
- Add first 6 ingredients in the order listed, to bread machine and process on dough setting. (During the first 5-10 minutes, if dough is sticky, add more whole wheat flour a teaspoonful at a time. Or, if dough is dry, add more water a teaspoonful at a time.).
- Ater bread machine beeps that it's done (approximately 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes), remove from bread pan onto lightly floured board, using from reserved 1/4 cup flour to dust the board as needed to keep from sticking.
- Divide dough in half, and continue with your favorite sweet bread, roll or cinnamon rolls recipe. Repeat with second half of dough. (Bake according to your recipe's instructions.).
Great! Very easy! I used half for cinnamon rolls and half for dinner rolls. The family really liked them, which is saying a lot since they are not yet big fans of fresh ground wheat. I used a mix of hard and soft white wheats and it turned out great. Next time I will add more than 3 cups. I did check it early on, but it looked fine. When it was done however, it was extremely soft and sticky. Thanks so much for this recipe!