Recipe by Chef Glaucia
This deep brown bread is tender and moist. It is great for sandwiches , or try it toasted and spread with jam at breakfast.
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, put water and add yeast. Stir to dissolve.
- Add brown sugar, gluten and whole wheat flour. Beat well. Let yeast develop for about 10 minutes.
- Add oil, orange juice and salt, mix thoroughly.
- Add 1 cup bread flour, beat well. Work in the remaining bread flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn out to a lightly floured surface and knead 6 to 8 minutes, or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a large oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover with a clean towel and let it rise in a warm, draft free place about one hour, or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch dough down. Form it into a log. Place in a greased 9X5X3 - inch loaf pan. Cover and let it rise45 minutes, or until nearly doubled.
- Bake loaf in a preheated oven ( 375º F ) for 30 to 35 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
- Let it cool on a wire rack.