These are simply ratios that can be easily remembered and used as foundations for many, many sauces. Each make approx 1 cup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt fat in a heavy saucepen. Slowly add flour. Do not brown. Add milk and salt. Stir or wisk constantly until thick.
- 2For extra rich sauce, use half milk and half stock. Cut down on salt if stock is salty. A drop of yellow food color gives richer color. This may also be cooked in a double boiler to keep from burning.
- 3Cheese Sauce;
- 41 cup medium white sauce.
- 51/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese.
- 6Heat white sauce. Add cheese. Stir until melted.
- 7Horseradish Sauce:.
- 81 cup medium white sauce.
- 93 tablespoons prepared horseradish.
- 10Heat white sauce. Stir in horseradish.
- 11Mushroom Sauce:.
- 121 cup medium white sauce (made with half milk and half stock).
- 131 3oz can chopped mushrooms, undrained.
- 141 teaspoon pale dry sherry.
- 15Heat white sauce. Stir in remaining ingredients and serve.
- 16Mustard Sauce:.
- 171 cup medium white sauce.
- 181 teaspoon prepared mustard of your choice.
- 19Heat white sauce. Stir in mustard and serve.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic White Sauces
Serving Size: 1 (870 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1243.1
- Calories from Fat 867
- Total Fat 96.3 g
- Saturated Fat 60.5 g
- Cholesterol 285.6 mg
- Sodium 4338.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 29.3 g