Lorraine of AZ's Note:
Basic white sauce is an ingredient used in many dishes. Here is the way to make it. Then you can add an ingredient and make a different, more flavorful sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups well-flavored chicken stock
- 1 cup shredded cheese, of choice
- 1In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook 2 minutes to cook away the raw taste of the flour.
- 2Add the milk all at once. Stir well, and continue heating until mixture comes to a boil. It will thicken as it heats.
- 3Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- 4To make Veloute Sauce: Substitute the chicken stock for the milk.
- 5To make Cheese Sauce: Stir in shredded cheese of choice into the cooked Basic White Sauce and stir until melted.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic White Sauce With Variations
Serving Size: 1 (1169 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 689.9
- Calories from Fat 439
- Total Fat 48.8 g
- Saturated Fat 29.6 g
- Cholesterol 138.5 mg
- Sodium 1172.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 27.0 g