Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Basic white sauce is an ingredient used in many dishes. Here is the way to make it. Then you can add an ingredient and make a different, more flavorful sauce.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups warm milk
- white pepper
- 2 cups well-flavored chicken stock
- 1 cup shredded cheese, of choice
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook 2 minutes to cook away the raw taste of the flour.
- Add the milk all at once. Stir well, and continue heating until mixture comes to a boil. It will thicken as it heats.
- Season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- To make Veloute Sauce: Substitute the chicken stock for the milk.
- To make Cheese Sauce: Stir in shredded cheese of choice into the cooked Basic White Sauce and stir until melted.