Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This basic vegan cake recipe can be used to make a variety of delicious desserts. Free of dairy and egg and with less sugar, it's a "healthier" cake. Can turn this into a nice Apple Cake (the instructions for this variation below) and I'm sure there are many other creative ways to use this cake recipe.From "The Best of Silver Hills" cookbook. Enjoy!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2⁄3 cup water or 2⁄3 cup soymilk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
Apple Cake Variation (optional)
- 2 large apples (optional)
- icing sugar, to your liking (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place cashews and water into blender and blend until very smooth.
- Add sugar, salt, vanilla, egg replacer and lemon juice and blend again.
- Pour blended ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Add flour and baking powder and mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into a 8"x8" cake pan that has been lightly sprayed with vegetable oil. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Frost or decorate as desired and serve.
- APPLE CAKE VARIATION:.
- Same directions as above except once patter is in the cake pan peel, quarter and core two large apples. Cut part way through the top of each apple quarter so that it fans out. Place the apple fans evenly across the top of the batter.
- Put in the oven and follow same baking instructions.
- Cool and sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
I believe there's an error in the quantity of liquid for this cake. My blender isn't very powerful, so I ground the nuts before mixing them with the water, and it turned into a paste in the blender; maybe I shouldn't have ground them, and that was the problem. In any case, I ended up adding at least double the liquid to made a proper batter consistency. It also calls for 2 teaspoons egg substitute; and I made another mistake in not mixing my ground flax seed with water, so my cake was a bit crumbly; but that might also be attributed to the additions I made (pineapple and coconut flakes). In spite of all my mistakes, it was a very good tasting cake, and I'll certainly make it again.
This cake is EXCELLENT!!! I made a few additions. I added 3/4C sweetened coconut flakes and 1/2t of cardamon.