This basic vegan cake recipe can be used to make a variety of delicious desserts. Free of dairy and egg and with less sugar, it's a "healthier" cake. Can turn this into a nice Apple Cake (the instructions for this variation below) and I'm sure there are many other creative ways to use this cake recipe.From "The Best of Silver Hills" cookbook. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2/3 cup water or 2/3 cup soymilk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Apple Cake Variation (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Place cashews and water into blender and blend until very smooth.
- 3Add sugar, salt, vanilla, egg replacer and lemon juice and blend again.
- 4Pour blended ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Add flour and baking powder and mix until well combined.
- 5Pour batter into a 8"x8" cake pan that has been lightly sprayed with vegetable oil. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until done.
- 6Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- 7Frost or decorate as desired and serve.
- 8APPLE CAKE VARIATION:.
- 9Same directions as above except once patter is in the cake pan peel, quarter and core two large apples. Cut part way through the top of each apple quarter so that it fans out. Place the apple fans evenly across the top of the batter.
- 10Put in the oven and follow same baking instructions.
- 11Cool and sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic White Cake (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.5
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 212.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 3.4 g