Prep 3 hrs
Cook 45 mins
Dough for basic white bread as taken from the Ultimate Bread Cookbook.
- Sprinkle the yeast into a bowl with half of a cup of water. Stir to dissolve and leave for five minutes. Mix the flour and salt together in another bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the dissolved yeast.
- Form a paste, Cover the bowl with a towel and let the paste sponge (frothy, loose and expanded) for 20 minutes.
- Mix in the rest of the water until you get a firm, moist dough. Knead for about 10 minutes.
- Put the dough in a clean bowl and cover with a dish towel. Let it rise for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Punch down then let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape into a long loaf. Place onto a floured baking sheet and let it proof for 45 minutes.
- Slash the top and cook in a 425 degree oven for 45 minutes or until golden brown.