Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe also makes marvelous scone dough.
- 3 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cups flour (approx)
- 4 cups very warm milk
- In a large bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm milk.
- Stir in until well blended.
- Add sugar, salt and oil.
- Add flour about 2 cups at a time, blending until a soft dough forms. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, about 10 minutes.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 3 equal parts and form into loaves. Place each loaf in a greased bread pan.
- Cover and let rise another 30 minutes. Bake in a 400 degree oven about 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven.
- Turn loaves out onto cooling racks and brush with melted butter to keep crust soft.
well i followed directions and the bread was very doughie.
I liked that taste and texture of this bread but the dough was
extremely sticky to work with. Tasted great the next day grilled
and served with soup however. I cut the recipe down to two loaves
and used a KitchenAid stand up mixer to prep the dough. Reviewed for