Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Great basic vinaigrette!
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots or 1 tablespoon onion
- 1 teaspoon dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine the shallot, mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper in a small mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly.
- If the sauce separates before being used it me be recombined by whisking vigorously for a few seconds.
Thank you for a good, basic recipe. Make sure to use a good-quality olive oil as it features heavily in this dressing. In fact, I found it a bit overwhelming. I think if you cut back on the oil just slightly it would be perfect.
This truly is a good basic vinaigrette. I prepared it for use in Recipe #25002, and knowing the tastes of the guests that would be eating the salad added just a bit of honey to the dressing to cut some of the bite. It worked perfectly to create a great salad for an impromptu dinner.
Great recipe...did use just olive oil because I find it too strong so I put a more Crisco vegetable oil and a little olive oil. Great with Mean Chef's Texas Caviar from the Cowgirl Hall of Fame Restaurant. Thanks...