Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A soup is only as good as the stock it is made from and this is a good,basic vegetable stock that I use as the base for my Tortellini Minestrone With Spinach. Since it makes a lot, I freeze it in individual batches, each bag holding enough for 1 batch of soup.You can vary the vegetables to suit your taste but watch out for strong flavoured veggies that will dominate the stock and potatoes which will make it cloudy.
- Place water in stock pot and add vegetables, garlic and sachet.
- Heat on high to simmering but do not allow to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Skim whatever scum rises to surface.
- Simmer, covered, for 3 hours, but do not stir.
- Check occasionally to make sure stock isn't boiling and to skim surface if necessary.
- Season with salt.
- Cool; remove vegetables and strain stock.