Recipe by queenbeatrice
A nice easy way to make a vegetable broth. This freezes well and is a nice base for many soup recipes.
Top Review by Dreamer in Ontario
This makes a lovely rich-tasting broth. I used a mixture of dried mushrooms and button mushrooms. The remainder of ingredients were as listed. I love the color that the onions skins imparts to the broth (at least I think it's from the skins). Made for Crock Pot and Rice Cooker Game in KK's forum.
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 onions, unpeeled, chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 1⁄2 cup mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 bay leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker with 7 cups water.
- Cook on low heat until vegetables are tender, about 6 hours.
- Strain into large bowl, pressing vegetables to extract liquid.
- Let cool 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate uncovered until cool.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.