Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World", these chocolate cupcakes are light and fluffy, not to mention animal friendly!
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder (Dutch processed or regular)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Line muffin pan with baking cups (paper or foil).
- Whisk together soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside to curdle. Add sugar, oil, and vanilla to the soy mixture and beat until frothy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining dry ingredients.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture in two batches beating until smooth, with no large lumps remaining.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking cups, filling them to three quarters full.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer cupcakes to cooling rack and allow to cool completely.
Everyone loves these! We are not vegans, but this is my favorite cupcake recipe. They are moist, light and way better than anything out of a box. Plus I can make them with what I have on hand. I have used all kinds of milk for these (almond, coconut, soy or cow's). Oh and the book is amazing too. yum yum
I have been using this recipe for over a year and always have great results! My daughter has milk and egg allergies so this lets her enjoy a treat that she usually can't have. I'm a vegetarian so I love it for that reason as well. Also try using dark chocolate cocoa! Makes it even better!
I was skeptical because the batter was so runny but they came out perfect!