Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a basic meat sauce, made with ground turkey, which I use as a base for 4 other recipes (see my recipe list for Turkey Lasagna, Turkey Tacos, Turkey Sloppy Joes, and Turkey Chili).
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped garlic (4-5 cloves)
- 3 lbs lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add the turkey and cook until all the pinkness is gone, breaking it up with a spoon, 5-7 minutes.
- Crush basil and oregano between your palms. Add herbs and pepper flakes. Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.