Recipe by Cookin'withGas
A nice basic soup, simple to make and an especially good use of your left over turkey meat!I like to serve it piping hot with different flavored crackers (like Sociables or Ritz or any type of vegetable flavoured crackers)
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth (Wolfgang Puck's preferred) or 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth (Wolfgang Puck's preferred)
- 1 large fresh carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup long grain white rice, uncooked (NOT instant)
- 1 (10 ounce) package green peas, thawed (from the freezer section)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper (optional)
- 1 lb turkey breast, cooked and diced (Jennie-O preferred)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven, on medium heat, saute the garlic and onion in oil until tender.
- Add broth, rice, celery and carrot; Cover and simmer 15 minute.
- Add peas, nutmeg, sage and salt & pepper to taste; simmer on low 10 minutes.
- Add the turkey and heat through.