Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Here is a basic trifle recipe that can be built upon in so many ways. Here, I have listed only a few of the MANY variations you can make using this recipe. Have fun and experiment and please let me know what you come up with. This recipe is awesome. Cook time is chill time and will be longer if you make your own cake.
- Prepare pudding or custard according to directions and let cool.
- Mix the fruit with the sherry.
- Cut the cake into 1" chunks and place 1/2 of the chunks in the bottom of a trifle bowl.
- Layer 1/2 of the fruit on top of the cake layer and top with 1/2 the pudding.
- Repeat layering.
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with fresh fruit.
- Chill well before serving.
- To make a low fat trifle, use angel food cake, fat-free pudding and low fat whipped cream.
- Strawberry Shortcake Trifle- Yellow or Angel food cake, custard and strawberries.
- Black Forest Trifle- Chocolate cake, raspberries and custard.
- Tropical Trifle- Angel food cake, mixed pineapple, mangoes, papayas, vanilla or lemon pudding. Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Apples and cream Trifle- Spice Cake, Apple pie filling and custard.
- Banana Creme Trifle- White or chocolate cake, Sliced Bananas, Custard.
Hi BirdyBaker. I like all the options you included with this recipe. You inspired me to create something a little unique. I used milano cookies instead of cake because that is what I had on hand. I also used strawberries and blueberries, white chocolate jello pudding, and cool whip. I followed your directions on layering and my first trifle turned out really nice. Thanks for providing this basic recipe.
So yummy. i made the black forest trifle for my Christmas dessert. i used leftover, frozen, homemade chocolate cake, soy pudding, and a coffee/amaretto syrup instead of the sherry. The raspberries definitely help cut down on the sweetness. To die for!
Delicious! I did substitute lady fingers instead of cake, but I didn't care for them at all: next time I will definitely use a white cake. I used white chocolate pudding, white grape raspberry juice, and peaches with berries for the fruit.