Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Just your basic sauce that can be used with various recipes
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for garnish
- 12 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 (28 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- kosher salt
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant but not browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, bring to a simmer, and cook until thickened slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in sugar, and season with salt, to taste.
- Let extra sauce cool completely and then seal in airtight containers. Refrigerate for up 1 week and freeze for up to 1 month.
This first time around I did cut the recipe in half, wanting to have enough to use in your recipe #1564249, as well as freezing some to see how that would work out! Very nice sauce, flavorful & satisfying, & I'm sure the freezing will work well, too! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in this Spring's round of Pick A Chef]