Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
A basic tomato sauce for pasta. Use as a base and then add whatever you fancy: Add crushed red chilli falkes for arrabiata........... Add mascarpone for a creamy tomato sauce.............. Add Bacon or ham, peas and cream................ Add anchovies, capers and olives and chilli for puttanesca............. Add red wine and Italian sausage............ ............well you get the point. Plus, it's just plain delicious on it's own!
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (400 g) cans Italian plum tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- Add enough olive oil to cover the bottom of a large pan, add the onions and garlic, cover and sweat on a low flame for a few minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, sugar, salt and pepper to taste and Italian herbs.
- Cook, uncovered, on a high flame for about 20 mins or until liquid has reduced by half.
- Check seasonings.
- Blend in a food processor until smooth.
Very good basic sauce. I added mushrooms this time and I look forward to adding other ingredients to make it different every time. Excellent as a basic!
Thanks for posting.
This is a nice basic sauce. I halved the recipe but could not find canned plum tomatoes so had to use diced "standard" tomatoes. Otherwise followed recipe as written, using about 1/4 tsp salt and lots of fresh ground pepper for the half recipe. Made to use as a pizza sauce for Pizza Dip but the leftover will be used over pasta, hopefully homemade pasta if I can get some made! :) Thanks so much for sharing your recipe Jonathan!