Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 500 g ripe tomatoes, washed and sliced
- 100 g onions, chopped
- 225 g cooking apples (optional)
- 5⁄8 cup vinegar (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 100 g sugar
- 7 cloves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 inch ginger, crushed
- 2 red chilies
- Place tomatoes, onions and apples (if used) in a pan.
- Cover and cook gently over low heat until softened.
- Add sugar, salt, vinegar and spices.
- Simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Sieve the mixture.
- Simmer again for about 20 minutes uncovered.
- Stir constantly.
- Pour into a hot jar.
- Seal carefully and sterilise.
This was a wonderful easy recipe. It turned out a nice sweet tomato sauce.
This sounds like a wonderful way to can my extra tomatoes and have a sauce that will be unusual and good with pasta as well as with Indian dishes