Recipe by s'kat
From 'Simple Italian Cooking', by Mario Batali. Posted to accompany following recipes: Rolled Flank Steak with Green Olives and Oregano, Rolled Flank Steak with Green Olives and Oregano; and Timpano di Maccheronni, (the Mythic Pasta Dome), Timpano Di Maccheroni (The Mythic Pasta Dome).
Top Review by love4culinary
This tomato sauce is absolutely delicious. This will be my regular tomato sauce from now on, seriously! I needed tomato sauce to make nawja's chicken vindaloo, and I didnt have any, so I made yours using tons of tomatoes I had on hand. The flavors are just amazing, yet the ingredients are so simple!! I used the fresh thyme, and wouldnt use anything but fresh.
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
- 4 clove garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh thyme leaves or 14.79 ml dried thyme
- 1 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 2 (1587.57 g) canpeeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat theolive oil oover medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the thyme and the carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is quite soft.
- Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until as thick as hot cereal.
- Season with salt and serve.
- This sauce holds one week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.