Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
- 4 clove garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh thyme leaves or 14.79 ml dried thyme
- 1 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 2 (1587.57 g) canpeeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
- salt, to taste
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat theolive oil oover medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the thyme and the carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is quite soft.
- Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until as thick as hot cereal.
- Season with salt and serve.
- This sauce holds one week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.
This tomato sauce is absolutely delicious. This will be my regular tomato sauce from now on, seriously! I needed tomato sauce to make nawja's chicken vindaloo, and I didnt have any, so I made yours using tons of tomatoes I had on hand. The flavors are just amazing, yet the ingredients are so simple!! I used the fresh thyme, and wouldnt use anything but fresh.
Excellent made as directed and simmered meatballs in sauce
I made this sauce for the Timpano recipe and it's delicious. Too bad my crust for the Timpano didn't turn out well.