1/1 Photo of Basic Tomato Sauce
From 'Simple Italian Cooking', by Mario Batali. Posted to accompany following recipes: Rolled Flank Steak with Green Olives and Oregano, Rolled Flank Steak with Green Olives and Oregano; and Timpano di Maccheronni, (the Mythic Pasta Dome), Timpano Di Maccheroni (The Mythic Pasta Dome).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 2 (28 ounce) cans peeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
- salt, to taste
- 1In a 3-quart saucepan, heat theolive oil oover medium heat.
- 2Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- 3Add the thyme and the carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is quite soft.
- 4Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- 5Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until as thick as hot cereal.
- 6Season with salt and serve.
- 7This sauce holds one week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Tomato Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1927 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.8
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 28.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 12.8 g
- Protein 4.4 g