From 'Simple Italian Cooking', by Mario Batali. Posted to accompany following recipes: Rolled Flank Steak with Green Olives and Oregano, Rolled Flank Steak with Green Olives and Oregano; and Timpano di Maccheronni, (the Mythic Pasta Dome), Timpano Di Maccheroni (The Mythic Pasta Dome).
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped into 1/4 inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 2 (28 ounce) canspeeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved
- salt, to taste
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat theolive oil oover medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the thyme and the carrot and cook 5 minutes more, until the carrot is quite soft.
- Add the tomatoes and juice and bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until as thick as hot cereal.
- Season with salt and serve.
- This sauce holds one week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer.