Prep 15 mins
Cook 32 mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 2 lbs tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fennel
- Heat oil in heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic.
- Saute until tender, stirring, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in tomato paste and wine.
- Boil 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add tomatoes, stock, bay leaf and fennel.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Puree in blender in batches.
- If you wish to have a thicker sauce, return to pot and simmer until the desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Can be made ahead, refigerated or frozen.