Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
A great tomato sauce that goes well with everything.
Make and share this Basic Tomato Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil (first cold pressed)
- 1 Spanish onions or 1 red onion, chopped in 1/4 inch dice
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves or 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon basil (Fresh is better. Cut up into small pieces.)
- 2 (28 ounce) canspeeled whole tomatoes, crushed by hand and juices reserved (Make sure you use tomatoes only from San Marazano. They are much sweeter.)
- salt and pepper
- Heat up pot and pour in olive oil and wait until oil is hot but not smoking.
- Add onions and caramelize.
- Add garlic do not let it burn.
- It will turn the sauce bitter.
- Add the tomatoes and the carrot.
- Let it simmer for about ½ hour.
- Stir every so often so it does not burn.
- With a wooden spoon, crush tomatoes against the side of the pot.
- Add fresh parsley, thyme and a little basil.
- If it tastes too bitter-- add some honey or sugar.
- Cook an additional ½ hour.
- Taste along the way.