Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
I make this about every 2 months, double the batch and freeze. Its great for pasta, or a tomato base for pizza's.
- 1 Spanish onion, cut 1/4 inch dice
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 ounces virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh thyme or 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1⁄2 medium carrot, finely shredded
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, with their juices
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until translucent, but not brown (about 10 minutes).
- Add the thyme and carrot and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat to just bubbling, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve immediately, or set aside for future use.
- The sauce may be refrigerated for up to one week or frozen for up to 6 months.