Recipe by shalene7
This is a basic Tomato Sauce that can be used for pasta, pizza or as a base for soups. This can made in a slow cooker or on the stove top and freezes well
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 28 ounces water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onions in olive oil until soft then add garlic.
- Sauté less than a minute then add tomato paste.
- Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes until it turns dark in color.
- Add tomatoes and all other ingredients.
- Simmer on low uncovered for 1/12 to 2 hours or until the consistency you prefer.