Recipe by Normaone
I keep a container of this sauce in the freezer at all times. It is a good basic foundation for a variety of pasta dishes.
- 2 lbs fresh roma tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 can tomato paste
- 5 -6 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop tomatoes and put in a large saucepan with olive oil.
- Add onion, celery, carrot, tomato paste and basil.
- Cook over moderate heat, covered for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue cooking 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- When the sauce reaches the desired thickness, stir in the butter, wine and seasonings.