1/2 Photos of Basic Tomato-Basil Sauce
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 35 mins
Even if you've never canned before, the ease and simplicity of using this sauce will encourage you to preserve its flavor with a boiling-water bath! Grab a jar off the shelf and dinner is ready in minutes! From Southern Living magazine. This would make a great gift, in a basket with pasta, a wooden spoon, some wine.....
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash tomatoes.
- 2Dip each tomato in boiling water 30 to 60 seconds or until skins split.
- 3Plunge immediately into ice water; core, peel, and quarter tomatoes.
- 4Place 4 cups of tomatoes in a large stockpot; crush tomatoes.
- 5Quickly bring to a boil over high heat, stirring vigorously; gradually add remaining quartered tomatoes, stirring constantly.
- 6Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours.
- 7Remove from heat; stir in basil.
- 8Add 1 tbls.
- 9lemon juice and 1/2 tsp.
- 10salt to each pint jar.
- 11Immediately pack hot tomatoes into hot jars, filling to 1/2 inch from top.
- 12Carefully run a nonmetallic spatula around inside of jars to remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims.
- 13Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- 14Process in boiling-water bath 35 minutes.
- 15Yield: 6 pints.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Tomato-Basil Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (4652 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.8
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1200.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 20.2 g
- Protein 6.7 g