Cook2 hrs 35 mins
Even if you've never canned before, the ease and simplicity of using this sauce will encourage you to preserve its flavor with a boiling-water bath! Grab a jar off the shelf and dinner is ready in minutes! From Southern Living magazine. This would make a great gift, in a basket with pasta, a wooden spoon, some wine.....
- Wash tomatoes.
- Dip each tomato in boiling water 30 to 60 seconds or until skins split.
- Plunge immediately into ice water; core, peel, and quarter tomatoes.
- Place 4 cups of tomatoes in a large stockpot; crush tomatoes.
- Quickly bring to a boil over high heat, stirring vigorously; gradually add remaining quartered tomatoes, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 2 hours.
- Remove from heat; stir in basil.
- Add 1 tbls.
- lemon juice and 1/2 tsp.
- salt to each pint jar.
- Immediately pack hot tomatoes into hot jars, filling to 1/2 inch from top.
- Carefully run a nonmetallic spatula around inside of jars to remove air bubbles; wipe jar rims.
- Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands.
- Process in boiling-water bath 35 minutes.
- Yield: 6 pints.