I was intrigued by the idea of making jelly out of tea when someone posted a request for recipes. I tried this one, and I like it alot. Obviously, it all depends on the quality of your tea. So far I've only tried this with a very high quality organic chai, and it is SO good! If you find a type of tea that works really well for this, post a review and let us know! [http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/teajelly.html]
- (If not including juice and using a tea infusion as your only liquid, increase the amount of water to 2 cups.).
- Bring water to boil, add tea bags and steep for 30 minutes.
- Discard tea bags. Add sugar (and optional juice) to brewed tea and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 2 minute stirring.
- Remove from heat and add pectin, return to boil and allow to do so for 1 minute.
- Skim off any foam.
- Pour hot jelly into jars and process for 20 minutes.
This recipe worked better for me with powdered pectin. I added the pectin and brought the tea to a boil, then added the sugar. The jelly set beautifully.
This is such a GREAT recipe, wish I could give it 10 GOLD stars. I did use powdered pectin, it seems to work best for me and this set up almost before I could get it into jars, this morning it's lovely and the scent - OMG!!! I used a high quality Chai Tea and added one of a Ginger Tea just for the flavor. Did not use any juice, just upped the water. Can't wait to have this on scones, yum!!! I'm going to try this with some other types of tea soon.
tried to make this jelly twice and both times it never set up I followed the directions to a T and it just stayed liquid.