Prep 1 hr 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a recipe for your basic tart shell - to be used in quiches or tarts.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- Mix flour and salt in food processor or mixing bowl. Add butter and process, or cut into flour with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Mix egg yolk and ice water. With machine running, pour egg mixture through feed tube and process until dough comes together; or pour egg mixture over flour mixture and stir with fork.
- Shape dough into thick disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Roll out dough 1/8-inch thick on lightly floured surface. Line 9-1/2-inch tart pan with dough and trim edge even with top of pan. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prick bottom and side of shell with fork. Line tart shell with aluminum foil (dull side up) and fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 15 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and remove foil and weights. Let cool.