Vseward (Chef~V)'s Note:
This is my Basic Tart Dough recipe. The filling possibilities are endless. I use this recipe for Italian Almond Tart, mini tarts for mini pecan pies, strawberry cream tarts etc.
My Private Note
mini ta ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small bowl, stir together the egg yolk, water and vanilla; set aside.
- 2To make the dough by hand, in a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and salt. Using a pastry cutter or 2 knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with butter pieces no larger than small peas. Add the egg mixture and mix with a fork just until the dough pulls together.
- 3To make the dough in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, stir together the flour, sugar and salt in the mixer bowl. Add the butter and beat on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with butter pieces no larger than small peas. Add the egg mixture and beat just until the dough pulls together.
- 4Transfer the dough to a work surface, pat into a ball and flatten into a disk. Use the dough immediately, or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until well chilled, about 30 minutes.
- 5To roll out the dough, on a lightly floured board, flatten the disk with 6 to 8 gentle taps of the rolling pin. Lift the dough and give it a quarter turn. Lightly dust the top of the dough or the rolling pin with flour as needed, then roll out until the dough is about 1/8 inch thick. Use a small, sharp knife to cut out a round or rounds 2 inches greater in diameter than your tart or larger tartlet pans. Use a small, sharp knife or a cookie cutter to cut out rounds 1/2 to 1 inch greater in diameter than your miniature tartlet pans. If using a rectangular tart pan, cut out a rectangle 2 inches larger on all sides than the pan. Makes enough dough for one 9 1/2-inch tart, six 4-inch tartlets, twelve 2-inch miniature tartlets or one 13 3/4-by-4 1/4-inch rectangular tart.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Tart Dough
Serving Size: 1 (32 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.8
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 36.0 mg
- Sodium 50.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 1.6 g