Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A response to a recipe request on the boards, here's a basic tortenboden. Based on recipe from "German Cookery" by Elizabeth Schuler.
- Beat the egg yolks and gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, and beat to a froth.
- Mix the hot milk with the remaining sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, and butter.
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Combine all mixtures.
- Beat the egg whites until fluffy, then fold them into the mixture.
- Grease a pan and dust with flour, pour mixture into pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool; when cool, slice twice horizontally, spread layers with cream filling of your choice, and set back together.
Used this for an edbertorte -- a strawberry torte -- yesterday. Batter was fairly simple to make and tasted delicious. Only trouble was that I scorched it a bit, but I put that down to the pan I was using which has a tendency to scorch and my oven running hot, which I knew about but forgot to monitor it. Will be making another tomorrow with the same recipe, just putting the pan on a higher rack and lowering the temperature a bit. The one with the recipe should be right for an average oven. In any case, as mentioned, the tortenboden itself is delicious and was also very forgiving of me cutting off the scorched bits. Edbertorte was beautiful and enjoyed by all.