Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Would be great with a nice stew, or soup. Came across this recipe in my cookbook, and sounds very nice and easy to make. Tell me what you think. Enjoy
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water (105-115)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 3 -4 cups all-purpose flour
- Dissolve 1 tsp.
- sugar in warm water in large bowl.
- Sprinkle in yeast.
- Let stand 10 minutes, then stir well.
- Heat milk to lukewarm.
- Stir in 1/4 cup sugar and salt.
- Add lukewarm milk mixture, butter,egg and 1 cup flour to dissolved yeast mixture.
- Beat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in about 3 cups remaining flour gradually.
- If necessary, add more flour to make a soft dough which leaves sides of bowl.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board.
- Knead dough, adding more flour as necessary, until dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky (about 5 minutes).
- Place in lightly greased bowl.
- Turn dough to grease top.
- Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel.
- Let rise in warm place until doubled (about 1 hour).
- Punch down.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board and round up into a ball.
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Shape and prepare according to one of the following variations.
- (These variations can also be made with Basic White Bread dough).
- Dinner Rolls: Divide each portion of prepared dough into 16-24 equal pieces depending on size of buns desired.
- Shape into balls and flatten slightly.
- Place on greased baking sheet or in muffin cups.
- Cover with a tea towel and let rise in warm place until doubled (about 30 minutes) Bake at 375F for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- Brush with melted butter, if desired, for soft shiny crust.
- Pan Rolls; Divide each portion of dough into 16 equal pieces.
- Shape into balls.
- Place balls, almost touching, in rows, in a greased 8" square pan.
- Cover and let rise as above.
- Bake at 375F for 25-30 minutes.
- or twin rolls, Cloverleaf rolls, Cresents, Parkerhouse Rolls, knots and posies.