Recipe by Deantini
This is a very good basic and simple recipe for the traditional sugar cookie. The dough is very easy to work with and just perfect for cookie cutting and decorating. Number of cookies depend on the cut out sizes, so the 25 cookie estimate is very approx. 1 hour cooling time is not included in prep time
Top Review by HokiesMom
I was so super thrilled to use this recipe! Very simple to prepare and double in portion which is a big bonus for me. Also I have to say I only got to a couple of the disks to bake one day and the other two sat in the fridge for 3 days but when I rolled that dough out it was still really nice and the cookies were all perfect. We used a huge variety of cookie cutters and decorated these this time with colored sugars and candies (since the kids were doing the decorating) so I skipped on the glaze this time but I can see using it for a lot of other occasions. I used a bit of powdered sugar in which to dust my mat instead of flour and found the dough not extremely sticky so it made rolling the disks out very easy. Thanks for sharing in the Went to the Market tag game.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar (or packed brown sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (I add double)
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk (or water)
- food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat butter until fluffy, beat in sugar in 3 additions.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- In separate bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt; beat into butter mixture in 3 additions.
- Divide dough in 2 equal portions and shape into discs. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On lightly floured surface roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness, cut into shapes.
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on baking sheets, greased or lined with parchment paper (I spray mine with PAM).
- Bake until light golden for about 10 minutes. Depending on your oven you may have to turn pans halfway through.
- Mix cookie glaze ingredients until preferred consistency and have fun decorating!