Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
These quantities will be enough to top a 1 1/2 pint pie dish. for a 2 1/2 pint use 12 oz of self raising flour and 6 oz suet.
- 8 ounces self raising flour
- 4 ounces shredded suet
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (for a savoury crust)
- cold water, to mix
- sift the flour into abowl, then sprinkle the suet in, season if desired and just mix it in lightly with your hands to distribute it evenly.
- Now sprinkle in some cold water (you'll find you need more for this pastry than for shortcrust).
- Begin mixing with around bladed knife, and then use your hands at the end to bring it all together to a smooth elastic dough that leaves the bowl clean.
- suet crust should be left for 5 minutes, then rolled out immediately. You should always roll it out more quickly than shorcrust, approximately 1/2 inch thick.