1/1 Photo of Basic Stuffing
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
According to Lily Binns, the basic formula for stuffing (white bread, onions, fresh herbs, and lots of butter) is the most satisfying. In fact it usually upstages the turkey. I made this stuffing for Thanksgiving Day 2007. I cut back on the butter (to 6 tablespoons), and if you don't like a VERY moist stuffing you'll definitely want to pare down on the stock (original recipe called for 3 cups and I changed to 1 1/2). Recipe of the week in The Week magazine, originally from Saveur.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 221.85 ml butter
- 6 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- kosher salt
- black pepper (freshly ground)
- 14.79 ml sage, finely chopped
- 9.85 ml marjoram, finely chopped
- 9.85 ml savory, finely chopped
- 9.85 ml thyme, finely chopped
- 2.46 ml nutmeg, grated
- 2365.9 ml white bread (toasted, 1/2 inch cubed and crustless)
- 118.29 ml parsley, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 354.88 ml vegetable stock (more or less for moister or drier stuffing) or 354.88 ml chicken stock (more or less for moister or drier stuffing)
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 15-cup baking dish with 1 tbsp butter; set aside.
- 2Heat 10 tbsps butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add celery, onions, bay leaf, salt and pepper to taste; cook until golden brown, 18-20 minutes.
- 3Add sage, marjoram, savory, thyme and nutmeg and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- 4Transfer onion mixture to large bowl. Add bread, parsley, and vegetable or chicken stock; season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Add eggs and mix.
- 5Transfer mixture to prepared dish, press down, and dot with remaining 4 tbsp buttter. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until deep golden brown on top, about 20 minutes more.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 461.0
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 146.8 mg
- Sodium 661.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: