Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a great classic spinach salad with hot bacon dressing. I like it because the dressing is made with staples I always have in my kitchen so all I need to do is pick up some fresh spinach. You can add what you like to the salad: eggs, nuts, fruit, etc. This is from "Gourmet Magazine". If you've never attempted a spinach salad with hot bacon dressing this is an easy and impressive recipe that tastes yummy!
- 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb fresh spinach, clean and cut off any coarse stems
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Drain most of the bacon fat from the pan leaving only two tablespoons.
- Cook the shallot in the bacon fat for one minute.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, mustard, oil, salt, pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Pour over spinach and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with reserved bacon pieces and serve immeadiately.
Too much cider vinegar. I would have put more sugar in it. With some tweaking, it's a keeper.
What a lovely surprise! I made this salad tonight and it was lovely! I made as listed, but substituted Truvia for the sugar. I also added about one tablespoon more of olive oil to the dressing. If you allow the mixture to boil a little while, the mixture did thicken and lost some of the pungent cider vinegar smell. My DH was skeptical, but ended up having seconds and requesting it to be put on the menu. He even suggested that we make it for a dinner party for his parents! Will make again and look forward to trying variations as listed in some of the reviews! Thanks for sharing Slatts!
This was great I found it a bit tart but it didnt stop me from finishing my plate . My husband liked it as he doent like sweet dressings. I added some walnuts to it. I will make this again . Made for Zwt6 for the Xtra hot dishes