Recipe by HollyJane
This is a basic chili recipe, but my favorite. Since I am a vegetarian, I omit the beef and add more beans for a great meatless chili. I also add more hot sauce for extra kick. This chili is great served with sour cream and/or cheese.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 3 cups kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Dave's Insanity hot sauce (or your favorite intense hot sauce--optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda (a pinch)
- 1 cup water (if needed)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute beef and onions together until beef is browned.
- Drain beef and add to a large soup pot (this step can be skipped if you wish to brown the beef in the soup pot).
- Add tomato juice and simmer over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes (with their juice), crushing between fingers to break apart.
- Add kidney beans, chili powder (the entire 4 tablespoons may be a bit much for some people, so start out small and add to taste), and optional hot sauce.
- After mixture comes to a simmer, add baking soda (the baking soda will help cut down the acidity of the tomatoes).
- Simmer for about 20-30 minutes, adding water if necessary to thin out the chili.
- Taste for seasoning.