1/1 Photo of Basic Spelt Bread for Oven or Bread Machine
1 hr 45 mins
This basic recipe is from Arrowhead Mills. The taste by itself is wonderful and works well when paired with salty or sweet foods/spreads. I've started to add different combinations or herbs, cheeses, and ground chia seeds into the mix as well. It's a great recipe to experiment with. I've found that the nutrient-rich bread itself is rather filling, so the loaf lasts somewhat longer than expected.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 1/2 cups spelt flour (divided)
- additional herbs
- 1OVEN INSTRUCTIONS: Dissolve yeast in honey with vegetable oil and water.
- 2Add salt and 1 1/2 cups of spelt flour. Beat well for 3-4 minutes.
- 3Cover with damp cloth and let rest in a warm place for approximately 30 minutes or until double in size.
- 4Add remaining flour, turning onto floured board and knead until smooth, adding flour if necessary.
- 5OPTIONAL: Add desired additional ingredients to taste. This is where I tend to add small amounts of herbs (such as basil and/or rosemary), chia seeds (usually ground), and/or grated parmesan/asiago cheese.
- 6Place in oiled loaf pan and cover with damp cloth. Let rise in warm place until double in size (approximately 30 minutes).
- 7Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- 8BREAD MACHINE INSTRUCTIONS: Add ingredients to machine according to manufacturer's instructions.
- 9Bake on shortest cycle (NOT quick bread cycle).
- 10If loaf falls and craters during baking cylce, decrease water slightly next time.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Spelt Bread for Oven or Bread Machine
Serving Size: 1 (31 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 48.9
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 292.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 0.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: