Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my recipe for basic spaghetti sauce. It isn't fancy, but child friendly. Weight Watchers: 1 point per serving as written.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped (optional)
- 84 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Saute onion and pepper in oil until soft. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, spices and brown sugar. Adjust seasoning and sugar to taste. Simmer on low for 1-2 hours.
- Add chopped fresh basil just before serving.
This is a nice basic sauce to do instead of buying jars of spaghetti sauce. This is so simple and it cooked for only 1 hour and was ready. I used 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes. Thanks Erindipity. Made for PAC Spring 2008
This is delicious, quick and easy spaghetti sauce. The seasoning was perfect as is - the flavour was great. I cooked mine for 1 hour which gave a nice thick sauce. I did add halved and whole mushrooms in the last 1/2 hour of cooking as I love mushrooms with pasta sauce. I used 1/2 tsp of pepper flakes which definitely gave quite and after burn so I would use just under 1/2 in the future. Thanks Erindipity!!
Made this for PAC 2007. I hate to admit it but I have never made my own spaghetti sauce. I have always bought jarred. So this was my first experience with making spaghetti sauce. This was really easy to make and tasty. Everyone enjoyed it. I froze some for future use.