1/19 Photos of Basic Sourdough Bread
3 hrs 50 mins
Donna M.'s Note:
Plain white, simple sourdough bread. A great starter recipe to use if you are new to sourdough baking. The dough cycle of the bread machine can be used to prepare the dough, if you like. Prep time does not include proofing time for starter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Before measuring out your 2 cups of starter culture, it must be proofed: To proof, I usually start with 1 cup of starter and stir into it equal parts of flour and warm water (for this recipe, 1 1/2 cups of each would be more than enough).
- 2Let mixture sit, covered loosely, for 8 to 12 hours-- the longer it sits, the sourer the flavor will be.
- 3At this point, measure out the 2 cups required for recipe, and return leftover starter to refrigerator for next time.
- 4Pour starter into mixing bowl.
- 5Melt butter (microwave works well).
- 6Add milk to butter and warm briefly (85 degrees F).
- 7Add the salt and sugar, stir until dissolved.
- 8Add this mixture to the culture and mix well.
- 9Add the flour, 1 cup at a time, stirring until the dough is too stiff to mix by hand.
- 10Turn onto floured board and knead in the remaining flour until the dough is smooth and satiny.
- 11Pat dough into a 1-inch thick oval and form loaf by rolling oval up from the long side, pinching the seam together as you roll the dough, tucking ends to form the loaf.
- 12Place in lightly greased loaf pan (I spray with cooking spray), and let rise, covered, at 85 degrees F for 1 1/2 to 3 hours.
- 13When the dough rises 1 to 2 inches above the edges of pan, it is ready to bake.
- 14Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 15Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake an additional 30 to 40 minutes (baking time varies according to your oven and your personal taste--some like a darker crustier bread than others).
- 16Remove loaf from oven and brush the top lightly with melted butter; turn loaf out of the pan and cool on wire rack.
- 17If you prefer, you can shape this into a round or oval loaf and bake on a baking sheet.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Sourdough Bread
Serving Size: 1 (530 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1593.6
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 47.6 mg
- Sodium 2494.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 304.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 42.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: