I have not tried this one yet, but my friend Anni who gave it to me is an excellent cook so I have no doubt it's wonderful!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 lbs top round steaks or 2 lbs bottom round steaks, about 3/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 cup beer
- 1 cup beef stock or 1 cup beef broth
- 1Mix the flour, salt and pepper together.
- 2Pound this mixture into the meat well.
- 3Cut the meat into 4-6 pieces.
- 4Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and cook the steaks in batches over medium-high heat until brown on both sides.
- 5Remove the meat and reduce the heat to medium.
- 6Add the onions and cook until limp and golden.
- 7If the pan is dry, add a few tablespoons of water to the skillet.
- 8Lay the meat over the onions and add the bay leaves, thyme, beer and beef stock.
- 9Cover tightly and reduce the heat to low.
- 10Simmer gently for 30-40 minutes until the meat is very tender.
- 11Do not let it boil.
- 12Remove the bay leaves and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- 13If the sauce is too thin, remove the meat and raise the heat; boil until the liquid thickens slightly.
- 14Serve the steaks topped with the onions and sauce.
- 15This is good served with either mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Smothered Steak and Onions
Serving Size: 1 (435 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 520.5
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 156.4 mg
- Sodium 946.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 53.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: