1 hr 20 mins
For this recipe we used the BBQ sauce we made in class (Tomato Based Barbecue Sauce rz.#184193). It is delish!! You can use whatever BBQ sauce you like, the smoking chips are what make this recipe. If using a gas grill - you can wrap the smoking chips loosely in aluminum foil, poke LOTS of holes in the top allowing the smoke to escape.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small mixing bowl combine the salt, thyme, mustard, paprika and white pepper.
- 2Cut up the chicken (if using whole) into parts - breast halves, wings, legs, and thighs. Save any unused pieces (backs, wing tips, etc.) for stock, if you desire.
- 3Trim off any excess skin and fat.
- 4Season the pieces all over with the spice rub.
- 5Let stand for 30 min to overnight; refrigerate if holding more than an hour, but remove from refrigerator about 20 min before cooking.
- 6Build a moderately hot fire (about 30 briquets) in the center of a covered grill, or preheat a gas grill with half the burners set to medium, the others to low heat.
- 7Soak the smoking chips in enough water to cover for about 20 minute.
- 8If using a gas grill, wrap the chips in aluminum foil and poke holes in the top.
- 9When the coals are beginning to be covered with ash, return any loose coals to the center and lay the smoking chips on or against the fire, and set the grate in place.
- 10Working quickly, arrange the chicken on the grill.
- 11Cover the grill, adjust the vents to a little more than half open, and cook 10 minute.
- 12Remove the lid and turn the chicken, move the least cooked pieces closer to the heat.
- 13Replace the cover and check again in another 10 minute.
- 14Total cooking time will be 30-40 minute.
- 15On the last couple of turns, brush with a little of the barbecue sauce.
- 16Test for doneness, when pierced - juices run clear.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Smoky Barbecued Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 707.4
- Calories from Fat 426
- Total Fat 47.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 230.0 mg
- Sodium 1886.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 58.2 g