Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
From "Moosewood Restaurant: New Classics" (C: 2001). Serve it on rice, polenta, or grits, topped with salsa, grated cheese or sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro. You may also embellish with garlic, ground fennel, thyme, chili powder, chiles, chipotles, or cayenne. Can use beans a filling for tacos.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup salsa or 1 cup tomato juice
- 3 cups black beans, cooked (two 15-ounce cans, rinsed & drained)
- In a covered skillet, heat the oil on medium high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the cumin and coriander and stir for a minute to toast the spices.
- Add the salsa or tomato juice, stir well and cover; simmer until the onions are soft (about 5 minutes). Add the black beans and simmer until slightly thickened (about 5 minutes). If you like, mash a few times with potato masher. May finish with chopped fresh cilantro.
- OPTIONAL ADD-INS: corn, bell peppers, carrots, celery, squash.