This easy, no fail, flaky all purpose pastry can be made by hand or in the food processor. The proportion of butter and shortening gives the pastry a perfect flavor and texture. Use this pastry for quiches and fruit or meat pies.
My Private Note
pie cru ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Blend in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- 2In a cup, combine the water and vinegar or lemon juice. Sprinkle the liquid over the flour mixture. Using your fingers, work the liquid in and gather the dough into a ball. Divide the dough into two equal pieces.
- 3Roll out as needed or wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill.
- 4To partially bake the pastry, preheat the oven to 425°F Cut a piece of parchment, foil or waxed paper to fit inside the pie plate. Fill the paper with dried beans and bake for 15 minutes. Lift out the paper and beans and proceed with the rest of the recipe. Or use unbaked as required in your recipe.
- 5Makes enough pastry for one 9-or 10 inch double crust pie.
- 6Lucy Waverman’s Cooking School Cookbook.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Shortcrust Pie Crust
Serving Size: 1 (735 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1520.6
- Calories from Fat 868
- Total Fat 96.4 g
- Saturated Fat 50.4 g
- Cholesterol 183.0 mg
- Sodium 1658.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 143.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 20.0 g