Recipe by Olha
This easy, no fail, flaky all purpose pastry can be made by hand or in the food processor. The proportion of butter and shortening gives the pastry a perfect flavor and texture. Use this pastry for quiches and fruit or meat pies.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour and salt. Blend in the butter and shortening until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- In a cup, combine the water and vinegar or lemon juice. Sprinkle the liquid over the flour mixture. Using your fingers, work the liquid in and gather the dough into a ball. Divide the dough into two equal pieces.
- Roll out as needed or wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill.
- To partially bake the pastry, preheat the oven to 425°F Cut a piece of parchment, foil or waxed paper to fit inside the pie plate. Fill the paper with dried beans and bake for 15 minutes. Lift out the paper and beans and proceed with the rest of the recipe. Or use unbaked as required in your recipe.
- Makes enough pastry for one 9-or 10 inch double crust pie.
- Lucy Waverman’s Cooking School Cookbook.