1/5 Photos of Basic Shortbread With Variations
A lovely way to enjoy these great cookies is with French Vanilla coffee. The yield of this recipe will depend on the thickness you roll it to and size that to cut them into so don't take the info for yield and baking time as gospel. Just follow the given instructions and they will be fine. Note* after 2 reviews agree, I have removed the unsalted butter. Please use regular salted butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a bowl, combine flour and salt.
- 2In a separate bowl, cream butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- 3Add sugar and continue beating until smooth. Stir in vanilla.
- 4Add flour and salt to mixture and stir until smooth.
- 5Divide dough into two flat disks roughly an inch thick and wrap in plastic.
- 6Chill for an hour.
- 7Preheat oven to 300°F.
- 8On a slightly floured surface, roll out dough to desired thickness.
- 9Shape with lightly floured cookie cutters. Place on cookie sheets and refrigerate 20 more minutes.
- 10Bake for 20 minutes, or until cookies are firm without browning.
- 11Cool on a rack.
- 12Now for the Variations on the Theme:.
- 13White-Chocolate Dipped:.
- 14Roll out dough roughly 1/3 of an inch thick. Cut into rounds and place cookies onto prepared baking sheets. Refrigerate and bake as per above instructions. After cooling, melt 6 ounces of white chocolate in a double boiler. Dip cookies into white chocolate and return to rack. Let chocolate set before handling.
- 15Cranberry Clementine:.
- 16Prepare one batch of basic shortbead dough, omitting vanilla extract. Work 1/2 cup finely chopped dried cranberries and 2 tbs grated clementine zest into dough. Roll out dough 1/2 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes. Refrigerate and bake as per above instructions.
- 17Pecan Macadamia Bites:.
- 18Add 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans and 1/4 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts to dough. Scoop out tablespoons of dough and roll into balls. Flatten each ball between your palms into bite-sized disks about an inch across. Place on prepared cookie sheets, refrigerate and bake as per instructions above. After cooking, dust cookies with icing sugar through a fine wire strainer.
- 19Sugar Stars:.
- 20Roll out dough roughly 1/3 of an inch thick. Cut into stars and place cookies onto prepared baking sheets. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush tops of cookies with egg white and sprinkle each cookie with coarse white sugar. Refrigerate and bake as per above instructions.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Shortbread With Variations
Serving Size: 1 (33 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 173.9
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 118.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 1.7 g