Prep 18 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is from the 2005 Hallmark Christmas Cookie Book. The key to success with this thick shortbread is baking it slowly so that it doesn't brown.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Beat butter at medium speed until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Combine flour and salt, gradually add to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut with 2 1/2 inch round cutter or Christmas cookie cutter.
- Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake at 275 for 50 minutes, or until bottoms begin to brown. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet; remove to wire rack to cool completely.
These shortbread cookies were sooo good. I halved the recipe. The only change I made was I added a bit of water to my dough because it just wasn't coming together. I also chilled my dough twice, after rolling and then after cutting. These came out perfect.