1/2 Photos of Basic Seitan - Chicken Flavor
Kozmic Blues's Note:
I have been making seitan quite a bit lately, and have been trying various cooking methods (baking, steaming and now simmering). One of the more difficult methods as far as consistancy goes, (so I've read), is simmered seitan. The following recipe I found in La Dolce Vegan cookbook, and it sounded so simple and mistake proof, I had to try it. I have now conquered my fear of simering seitan in broth!! Recipe can be doubled, and the pieces can be cut into nuggets, strips or cutlet sized pieces.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium bowl, stir together the wheat gluten and water until it becomes elastic. Knead dough anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes.
- 2Cut into you desired shapes and sizes.
- 3In a medium sauce plan, bring all of the broth ingredient to a boil.
- 4Add prepared seitan into broth.
- 5Reduce heat and cover with lid.
- 6Let simmer for 50-60 minutes stirring every 10 minutes, until MOST but not all of the broth has reduced completely, this can take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes.
- 7Use chicken flavored seitan immediately in your dish of choice or store in the refrigerator for up to 6 days, or the freezer for up to 6 months. If you use the seitan imemdiately after simmering, it will seem quite soft and tender. If you allow it to cool and then use it in a dish, it will have a bit more texture to it.
Browse Our Top Vegan Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Seitan - Chicken Flavor
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 99.9
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 807.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 16.9 g