1/3 Photos of Basic Scrambled Tempeh
From Isa Chandra Moskowitz's book, Vegan Brunch. This is a refreshing change of pace for breakfast time, but would make a great meal at any time of day. She suggests that steaming the tempeh before preparing this recipe gives it a juicier texture and reduces the bitterness of tempeh. I steamed it for five minutes with 2 tablespoons of water in the microwave, but if you like a stronger tempeh flavor you can skip that.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 lb tempeh, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh black pepper
- 4 large leaves swiss chard, torn into pieces (or any leafy green)
- 1Preheat a large, heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Saute the tempeh in 2 tablespoons olive oil for about 7 minutes, stirring often, until lightly browned.
- 2Add red bell pepper and onion and drizzle in remaining oil. Saute for about 5 minutes until veggies are softened but still slightly crunchy. Add garlic and thyme and saute for 2 more minutes.
- 3Season with salt and pepper. Add greens and saute until just wilted. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Basic Scrambled Tempeh
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 330.0
- Calories from Fat 202
- Total Fat 22.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 158.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 21.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: